Friday, April 8, 2011

Sleepovers

Tonight I am hosting a sleepover. Five kids, including mine...which I guess makes it a slumber party. And it's nobody's birthday. I think I just let my guilt at not inviting anyone to sleepover at our house for 6 months get the best of me.

The thing is, sleepovers can be a beautiful thing when they are at someone else's house. Free babysitting and the kids have a great time! But you've got to give to get and it was beyond our turn to invite the boys' friends over, so I figured I might as well kill all the birds with one stone and make it a slumber party.

I stuffed them with lasagna and have a movie and ice cream sandwiches waiting. But I also have an Owen sitting inside watching You Tube videos while the rest of the kids play kickball in the driveway...everytime he tries to engage in the group activity, he ends up having a meltdown. His friends are polite and patient with him, but no one wants to be shrieked at for hours.

I don't know how to help him. He knows these kids. He likes them. I don't understand the anxiety he feels, but I do recognize that it's a visceral response. I just wish I could help him feel comfortable in the situation. I wish it could be as fun for him as it is for Aidan.

It's hard, but it's worth it. It's good for him to get the chance to do regular kid stuff, even if it's stressful (for both of us). He does have fun - it's just a lot more work for him than other kids. But I'm grateful that he has friends and that they are understanding of his quirks and his meltdowns. I hope that it lasts.

For now, You Tube seems to be the common denominator, as all the kids have now gathered around Owen to watch Annoying Orange videos...please let there always be a common denominator.

No comments: