Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Check off #12

Tonight I completed my cake decorating class, thus completing #12 on the 40 by 40 list.

More important than the list, however, is that I learned how to make a Wilton rose. That is not to say that I became good at making Wilton roses, but I did at least learn the same basic technique that people who are good at making them use.

I also think I learned that my energy is far better spent making things that taste good, rather than things that look pretty. (Hello, life metaphor.) I've never been good at visual arts in any way and cake decorating was no exception.

Still, it was fun. And I think I'll actually use a few of the techniques on my cupcakes from now on. Hooray for developing skills that you might occasionally use!

That's three list items in under 5 months. Apparently my ambition is closely tied to my ability to check things off of a list - who knew?

6 comments:

Kevin said...

I look forward to eating many hand-decorated desserts the next time I'm in the US...

KK said...

As long as Crisco is vegan, we're all good.

Voix said...

Hey there, KK -- I love that you've posted your 40 by 40 list. If you'd like a martini making lesson, let me know. They're simple: Grey Goose, shaker, ice, tiny bit of vermouth, and gigantic Trader Joe's garlic stuffed olives plopped in your glass.

Appreciate most when: slightly hungry, trying to decompress, with a plate of charcuterie, baguette and cornichons very nearby.

KK said...

I've actually just started on the martinis, but I don't consider myself able to appreciate or make a good one yet (the problem might be that I can't appreciate a good one and therefore can't tell if it's good). They are way easier than I thought!

The Sans Racines said...

I like you Mom. First time I have read this blog. I found you after a search on Jenny McCarthy. You are all right, you echo alot of my sentiments as a mom

KK said...

Thanks for reading! I checked out your blog and I am intrigued...hope to read more from you soon.