Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Icing on the Cake

The sun came out today, which is perfect because today begins my fulfillment of item #12 on the 40 by 40 list: Learn to decorate a cake.

Back in the day, the local Target stores had bakeries in them. McGlynn's Bakery. They sold standard bakery fare: donuts, cookies and cakes. At our regular Target, the bakery was located at the end of the checkout lanes, so while my mother paid for our purchases, I would meander over to the plexiglass display window, where a young bakery worker would be decorating a cake.

I would stare with amazement as a block of white crumbs was transformed into somebody's birthday cake. The way the frosting was expertly spread across the cake like a blanket. That combing tool that would make those perfectly even lines around the sides of the cake, as it was spun on its stand. And oh, the roses.

Watching the decorator take a tube of frosting and what resembled a toothpick wearing a hat, and, with the flick of a wrist, produce a delicate rose...well, it was nothing short of magic. Before my very eyes, an entire bouquet of pink roses would materialize, with little green leaves effortlessly piped on as a finishing touch. Magic, I tell you.

Soon I will know the secret of those roses because every Wednesday this month, one of my oldest friends and I will be attending cake decorating class at our local Jo-Ann Fabrics. We'll be learning the Wilton Method, which I understand is cake decorating 101. Old school. All rosettes and basket weaves.

I cannot wait.

1 comment:

kristi said...

I worked in a bakery and never did master how to make roses. Have fun!