Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Mind Allows

Fear is only as deep as the mind allows.
- Japanese proverb
Since we've got a "things I failed to mention" theme going now, I might as well add that yesterday I failed to mention that in spite of the issues he continues to have (and my issues with his school), I think Owen is doing really well. The fact that he's spacey is nothing new and the fact that he's having fewer meltdowns is progress.

The thing that bothers me - and the reason that I am actually thankful that this teacher brought up anxiety, even though she went about it in the wrong way - is the idea that he's going through his days scared or upset or anxious or sad. Sure, a small dose of such things would be normal for a kid, but to have it be a daily, or even hourly occurrence is heartbreaking.

So if there is anything I can do to fix that, I will. I'm just hoping it's not medication because I feel like his brain has enough to contend with already.

He's good...amazing, in fact. And I have no doubt that he will grow up to do extraordinary things. I'd just also like him to be able to do plain ol' regular things...like making polite conversation with new people. Like completing writing assignments in class without crying. Like, eventually, dating. (and by eventually, I mean when he's 25)

I don't want to take the quirks out of him. I just want him to be free to navigate his world however he chooses - without being controlled by fear.

No comments: