Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Excuses and more

As if it's not bad enough that I'm failing miserably, I'm afraid my daily blogging challenge has turned my blog into my nemesis. It makes it feel like work. (yes, apparently work is also my nemesis...I'm better suited for days spent lounging by the ocean with pina coladas)

I thought it would be a good writing exercise, but instead it feels like my writing is even more pointless than ever. Sigh.

Are there phases that a person goes through when forming new habits? Enthusiasm, boredom, self-sabotage, and then justifying failure? Yep, those are my four phases of being a quitter. Except I'm not quitting in this case. I'm just whining. But I'm planning to finish out my last 5 days strong!

It should help that I'm on single parent duty this week - I find that staying home is far more conducive to blogging than actually having a life worth blogging about.

My husband is in New York on a freelance gig and I realized that even though he's gone a lot at the theater these days, I had forgotten the anxiety I get when he's gone for several days. It's like my brain thinks we're going to a desert island or something and I must gather enough supplies to last us the entire length of his absence in case we lose contact with the outside world. I have to assume that it's a holdover from when the boys were younger because back then, I really did feel overwhelmed just taking them both to the grocery store by myself. Now it's easy-peasy, but I guess old associations are hard to shake.  

In other news, I realized that I have less than 5 weeks before I'm going back to Vegas for our friend's wedding, which means I have to 1) buy a "summer formal" dress and 2) wear a swimsuit in public. Both of these facts got me out jogging yesterday. Jogging! And, according to Google maps, I jogged a full 0.45 miles without stopping! That's pretty major for me. I guess what everyone has been telling me about it being easier to run outside, might actually be true. Huh. I'm hoping to keep it up and maybe eventually jog the full mile to the Caribou up the street (I believe that if it was a Starbucks, I would have done it already).

I'm also participating in the Autism 5K here in Minneapolis on May 21. I don't plan to run the whole thing, so I don't think I'll be checking anything off my 40 by 40 list that day, but it will be a fun family activity, it's a great cause, and it will contribute to the body reshaping I'm hoping to achieve in less than 5 weeks. Win-win-win.

No comments: