Saturday, April 9, 2011

Photos & Friends

We survived the sleepover. The children would probably even describe it as "fun." Success.

In other news, I've been pondering things (as I'm known to do) and I've come to two decisions:

1. I want to do a photo everyday for a year project.
2. I want to complete #35 on my 40 by 40 list by my birthday. That means I need to write each one of my friends a letter saying what they mean to me.

The first one will be easy to start and hard to stick with. The second one will be hard to start, but I'm hoping the words will come easily once I get started...

So, for the photos, I'm torn. I like the idea of just having a photo that represents each day, but then I also thought it would be interesting to do a photo of a certain time of day. Like, a photo of everyone I'm with at 7 p.m. everyday. Yes, I'd end up with a lot of photos of me and my kids in our living room, but that's not all bad. You'll still be able to see a progression over time. Thoughts, anyone?

Also, can you start such a project on a random day in April, or would it be better to wait until either the first on the month, or my birthday or something?

As for writing my friends letters, well, that begs the question of who makes the list, right? I'm not going to write every person I know a letter, but how do you define "friend"? Is it how long we've known each other? How often we speak? (If we're actually talking about talking, that's a short list) I don't know...I'm feeling a need to set criteria so that I can limit the list, while also not hurting anyone's feelings. Maybe I'm projecting here, but if I had a friend who announced she was writing letters to all of her friends and then I didn't get a letter, I'd be a little hurt. I have to think about that one some more. The point is that if I got hit by a bus next week, or month, or year (or if one of my friends did), this is something I would like to have done.

And also, does an email count as a letter? Did I really mean that I would write actual paper letters? (I should really remind myself to be more detailed when setting goals)

So if I manage to complete this task, that means I can either learn to change the tire or learn to make and appreciate a good martini. You guys were pretty enthusiastic about the martini challenge...makes me wonder if I should make an entire list devoted to bartending adventures...it seems that I have many very willing and able friends when it comes to drinking.

I think I'll pursue all three goals and see what happens. Maybe I'll end up completing six list items in a year. That wouldn't be so bad considering the effort and expense involved in many of the remaining items...I really should have put "get rich" on that list.

2 comments:

A2HelloKitty said...

So many decisions! First, I think if you are going to bother to write all the friends that are important in your life, who feed your soul so-to-speak, you should go to the trouble of writing it on paper and putting it in the mail. Email is impersonal, and suggests impulsivity and lack of time. Writing (or typing, though that is more formal) and sending a letter is personal, means you are taking time to express your thoughts and taking care in the message you are sending. Plus, everyone loves getting real mail!

I am doing a picture a day project!! I started on January 1st, and having been plugging along. While I have been good at taking a picture almost every day (I do it any time of day, it's not always of my kids - just a good representation of what our life is like; so no random photos, always with meaning) - I have NOT been good about keeping a 'journal' about the stories the photos tell, which had been my original intention. I am using Shutterfly, uploading the photos from my phone (thank you iPhone!) and putting them into albums based on week. So, in the end theoretically I will have a page spread for each week of the year.
Since I started on January 1st, I use Saturdays at the first day of each new week. So, whenever you start, keep it consistent in that fashion, so you can at least sort your photos in some semblance of order. Otherwise, you WILL get overwhelmed!! Start on your birthday - seems like as good a date as any! :-)

KK said...

Ianna,
You're right, they should be written letters.

Congrats on your picture project - I was thinking a blog format, but I'll look at Shutterfly. Thanks for all the encouragement!