Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day

Today is bittersweet…more sweet than bitter* thanks to my husband and beautiful boys, who have been showering me with love and took me to a fabulous brunch, where I ate everything from eggs Benedict and shrimp to chocolate covered strawberries and crème brulee.

The boys have also been treating me to exceptionally adorable banter today. When getting dressed for brunch, Aidan didn’t really want to put on his pants. We told him he had to wear pants to brunch. He considered this and said, “If we brought a suitcase with pants in it, the waiter would sure be surprised.” Owen immediately chimed in with, “Or if we brought a suitcase full of lunch.” Ahhhh, nothing like plotting to surprise your waiter.

When we got to the fancy French buffet at Hotel Sofitel, Aidan announced that “Buffets are very special.” And when I returned to the table with my second heaping plate of food, Owen exclaimed, “Mommy, you sure are a good eater!” Sweet as can be.

But, of course, there’s the bitter fact that I am celebrating motherhood without the child that I’ve mothered for 11 of his 16 years. He declined the invitation to brunch. I knew he would…but I hoped he wouldn’t. I told myself not to take it personally, but it still hurts. It hurts even more trying to explain to my boys why their big brother isn’t here.

It’s just a day – just one of the many that will have to pass in order for things to improve. But it’s a harder day than others.

So go hug your mom. Thank her for putting up with you during those times when you probably didn’t deserve it. It may have been her job, but I promise it wasn’t easy.

*Thank you Big Head Todd

1 comment:

Judith U. said...

Brunch sounds wonderful. The twins are so witty! 16 year old sounds challenging.

The darkest hour is just before dawn. (Or at least that's what I keep telling myself with the whole potty training thing....) Stay strong.