Friday, May 2, 2008

Rain, Rain, Go Away

We're having a midday thunderstorm. My husband is out of town on business. The teenager will likely be busy with things I don't want to know about until much later this evening.

I want to make buttery popcorn and pile the kids into my bed and watch TV for the rest of the day. Is that only okay if someone is sick?

More than likely, the TV trick would only last for an hour max anyway, as we tend to have trouble agreeing on what to watch and I am only physically capable of sitting through two episodes of "Little Einsteins," "Handy Manny" or "Super Why" per 24-hour period. My tolerance for Dora and "The Wonder Pets" is even shorter.

Really, my proverbial prayers would be answered if there happened to be a "Glutton for Punishment" marathon on the Food Network today. Have you seen this show? A Canadian foodie travels the world, gets 5 days to learn an odd food custom or skill and then has to show off his mastery of it, usually by entering some local competition devoted to said custom or skill. I started Tivoing it just because I like travel and food, but then my kids got into it, so now it's a weekly must-watch.

Favorites include the egg frying competition (where they fried eggs using the heat of the sun in the desert) and the watermelon seed spitting episode. The Gloucestershire cheese rolling was also entertaining, mostly because a bunch of grown men tumbling down a hill behind a piece of cheese seems just as bizarre to my 4-year-olds as it does to me. The only episode I wished I'd pre-screened was the Fugu (those freaky poisonous blowfish) one, just because there were frequent mentions of the possibility that Bob (the beloved host) could actually die if he didn't prepare the fish correctly...that maybe was a little too tense for the preschool set.

Anyway, I haven't been smart enough to save all the old episodes on Tivo for a rainy day, so if I do attempt to enact my TV-in-bed plan, I'm afraid the best I can hope for is an "Ace of Cakes" rerun...unless maybe I could lure them into a Muppets movie marathon.

1 comment:

Genevieve Hinson said...

April bloggers bring May offers

The bloggers blogging for autism awareness community has been extended. BlogNetNews.com has provided a way for us to continue blogging in very readable format that will also help raise money.

I'm posting this spammy-message because you are one of the original bloggers from April. To read more about how this works, or to opt out, please read this post here.


Thanks!

Genevieve