Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Idol Chatter

I don't know why I haven't been blogging about American Idol the whole season - it would have been an easy way to guarantee an entry every Tuesday and Wednesday. Oh well.

In lieu of wallowing in the situation with the teenager, I'm hereby making a concerted effort to blog about something else for awhile.

So let's talk about American Idol. If I understood correctly, they had the entire song collection of every Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee...so what was up with the song selection? I know this makes me sound older than I am, but I think these kids need a little rock education. Anyway...

David Cook: I want you to win, but Duran Duran? Really? Out of all the choices? Nice job with "Baba O'Reilly," though. I am hopeful that the irony was intentional.

Jason: Ok, so you finally revealed yourself to be a stoner above all else. I don't think even those pretty little eyes can save you this week. But no worries, you've secured your place strumming stoner anthems in college campus coffee shops across the country. That's probably all you really wanted anyway, right?

Syesha: You did good. Honestly, I'm still waiting for that voice to really blow me away, but you definitely deserve the make it to the end.

David Archuletta: You seem like a really nice kid and I bet you kick ass at the high school talent show, but I can't for the life of me figure out why the judges keep loving you. I just don't think you're superstar material. I don't even think anyone above the age of 12 would sit through an entire concert of that sappy school-boy thing. I just don't get it.

If you made it this far, then there's a good chance you share my inexplicable adoration for this show. Please, share your thoughts. I'm always up for an Idol discussion.

4 comments:

Student of Life said...

So, I don't want to think about the state of my life right now either. I'll play along!

You've read my mind on all of your comments.

On David Cook, the Duran Duran thing boggles my mind. It does not compute at all. Not at all. That couldn't have been his choice. As far as his The Who song choice, I think it was smart. Not only might lots of younger viewers know the song from CSI, but the "teenage wasteland" is good download material. I saw something today that said he was kicking all the other Idols' (current AND former) asses on iTunes downloads. That's just smart business on his part.

I also think that this week's theme was likely a pretty good producer trick. Daughtry went out in fourth place last year. I think they want to keep David Cook in, since he is so good for business. They gave him a free ride with this Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame songbook thing. I hope he didn't screw himself with the Duran Duran choice.

As far as Castro goes, my husband and I decided he was Dazed and Confused calibre stoner, and he solidifies that opinion every week. He's going to get laid like there's no tomorrow, but he's not a top-of-the-charts star.

Archuleta...nice voice and all, but don't get the judges' love affair with him. Perhaps he and Clay Aiken can tear up Broadway together?

OK, so that was ridiculous. Sorry about hijacking your comments like that, but, like I said, I'm trying to avoid thinking about anything of substance as well.

Judith U. said...

Song choices were so freaky!

First of all, Syesha did well, but she absolutely lost me early in the season and she did this horrible "baby cry" sound that her friends and family love for her to do. She did it a couple of times during the interview and it totally creeped me out. Now every time I see her it's all I can think about. I can't watch her. Ick ...

By the way, wasn't Brooke's departure last week just awesome! I watched it over and over..

David Cook is my man. I don't think he's going to win the show, but he's already got a record deal coming. I love him. I'll buy him on iTunes. He actually has t-a-l-e-n-t...His song choices this week were mediocre, but I don't care. It's pure infatuation for me at this point.

And thank God someone actually said it. David Archuletta. Really? I don't get it at all. He's like some surreal part of the cast in a Christopher Guest movie. Weird, weird, weird. Every week my mouth drops when the judges gush over him. So weird!

David Cook is hilarious!!! His hair looks dirty, but I look forward to his performance and the comments of the judges. I hope he stays in just for the comic relief.

This week ... Syesha is going home...

KK said...

I KNEW I wasn't alone!! You guys are awesome.
Ok, so I totally think Jason is going home this week, but it could just as easily be Syesha given her track record of being in the bottom almost every week.

Kane said...

They love David A. because he is the best singer by a large margin. David Cook has a nice quality to his voice, and Syeesha is a technically competant singer, but David A. is consistently the best. He just is.

Go away Syeesha. Go away hard.