Tuesday, May 27, 2008

"City" Rhymes with a More Appropriate Description

I'm pretty sure Party City is the antidote to wanting to have a party. Seriously, I took the boys there today to get the decorations for their solid gold extravaganza (a.k.a. their golden birthday party) and the whole experience made me want to stop having parties in protest. 

I suppose they think the stuff they sell is so "fun" that there's no need to organize or label any of it...or even restock. Maybe they also think the "party atmosphere" they represent makes up for the apathetic employees they hire. When I asked if they had gold balloons shaped like the number 5 (a must-have for a 5-year-old's golden birthday), the employee actually laughed when he said no. They had 2s and 6s and 0s, but no 5s. Was it funny that I wanted such a thing or was he just happy that he didn't need to bother helping me? I couldn't tell.

But the final straw, after spending 30 minutes sifting through party supplies, was getting my cart -- my cart with two almost-five-year-olds bouncing off the sides of it -- to the only register with its light on (you know, the lights that indicate which ones are open?) to find that there were no employees in sight. Then after a line had formed behind us, a woman comes strolling from the back and informs me she would like to ring me up three registers away...she said this as she looked at the contents of my cart, which had been carefully loaded onto the counter of the register with its light on. "Awesome," is all I could muster. 

As we left the store with our bags of golden pseudo-treasures, I couldn't even wait until we got outside to say to my boys, "Let's never shop here again, okay?" Okay.

No comments: