Saturday, November 15, 2008

Tidings of Comfort and Joy

I'm struggling with this Christmas thing...I guess I struggle with it every year. I want to shop. I like to shop. I don't really get to shop much (groceries don't count). Alas, the budget does not allow for shopping. 

But it's not really about wanting to shop, it's more that I'd really like to get all of my friends presents. I enjoy picking out the exact right thing for each person. I even like wrapping. If I could, I'd totally be one of those people perpetually giving out random gifts because "I saw it and it reminded me of you." I'd like to be that person. 

I think what it is -- and this might surprise those of you who only know me through the blogosphere -- is that I'm not very emotional (unless I'm watching ER or Extreme Makeover: Home Edition), so gifts are sort of a way to tell people what they mean to me without having to get all sappy about it. 

In lieu of gifts, I always have this idea that I'm going to send all of my friends exquisite Christmas cards, in which I will write exactly the right thing...words that will touch them so deeply that they will shed a tear and keep that card for eternity, referring back to it now and then to be reminded of how special our friendship is. Like a Hallmark commercial come to life!

Right. Except you see, I get hung up on this sappy thing. This fear that being too sentimental will creep everybody out. Or, that I won't be able to find the right words and I'll write something entirely stupid.

The solution to this, of course, is to simply send photo cards that only have room for our names and maybe "Happy Holidays!" I do love photo cards.

Will this year be different? Well, probably not. But maybe I'll find the courage to write some of those things anyway. Even if it's not Christmas. Just because. 

1 comment:

Twocherries said...

your hugs say everything you dont