Thursday, November 13, 2008

Hot and Furry

Happy Thursday. How great is Top Chef?

If you gave me 15 apples and told me I had 20 minutes to prepare a dish, you would be lucky to get a plate of sliced apples with some cheese on the side. Or maybe, if I was feeling super motivated, I would stuff one of the apples with peanut butter - and it would probably take almost the entire 20 minutes for me to core the thing. There would be nary a seared scallop or porkloin in sight.

I thought it was a good first episode. I don't think I'll miss either of the eliminated contestants...I guess I'll never know. But when will they learn to stop making salads? I like a good salad, but when you've got competitors sous viding chicken and making remoulade, maybe you should do something more than toss a few ingredients over some lettuce? Just a thought.

Onto other matters...

I'm thinking of getting the boys a pair of hamsters. I won't demand that they teach them tricks, but I won't discourage it, either.

You see, we are currently pet-less. Our last cat got shipped off to live with the teenager at his grandparents' house (she was his cat and Aidan and I are allergic). I've never been without a pet...ever. We always had lots of pets when I was growing up. At one point, we had 2 dogs, a cat, 2 rabbits, a hamster and a rat. I'm not sure how this happened, given my mother's obsessive need for cleanliness, but I remember thinking it was great - especially since I doubt I cleaned up after or fed any of them.

Anyway, back to the hamsters. I'm looking for a pet that doesn't take up much space, doesn't require training, doesn't make noise, and doesn't shed. Hamsters are cute and furry and they can run around the house in one of those big plastic balls (or two balls - we won't throw them both in the same one). I realize I'll have to clean a cage once a week, but I think I can handle that.

Horrible idea or best Christmas present ever?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think hamsters are pretty good. I've never actually owned one. I used to have gerbils, which are smaller. Hamsters may scare easy, which can cause them to bite. Nothing lethal, but they're pretty strong. Out of all the rodents I think rats tend to be the best. They're big enough they don't scare as easy so they don't tend to be bitey. They can still run around in those plastic balls which is nice. I think pets bring good energy.

KK said...

I agree - rats are the best pets ever. For some reason, I can't sell the rest of the family on this.

Butch Roy said...

one snake is quiet, doesn't shed and cleans up hamsters.

Jen said...

My mom let us have gerbils when we were little, and we were big fans. (We got them used to us, they'd let us hold them, etc.)

It was especially when the gerbils had babies (probably uncool for mom and dad, but super duper awesome for us!)

I have to totally second the whole rat thing. I owned a couple of rats in college, and they were great and wayyyy too smart, and affectionate and all the rest. Especially the gray ones.

Is there a way to watch the special features on "Ratatouille" a couple million times? ;)

KK said...

1) No snakes.

2) The Ratatouille plan is a very good one...I will begin at once.

Butch Roy said...

to correct stupid George: Shut Up.

I don't think anyone is going to accidentally inhale a 3 foot piece of reptile skin.