Sunday, July 27, 2008

Homecoming

The teenager is home. Back in his bed where he belongs. Hallelujah.

I realize there will be a grace period...that things will probably seem remarkably smooth for a few days before - BAM! - I find myself feeling those familiar pangs of frustration and disbelief at whatever is or is not going through his head...but right now I'm content to enjoy this feeling of calm...of relief...the feeling that things are as they should be again.

I know it won't be easy, but I believe it will be better this time. The break was needed as much as the reunion. I think we've all grown a little bit and have a slightly different perspective going back into it. The trick will be to maintain this new, enlightened perspective when fear and anger are staring us down...to remember what's really important and what is not. To keep him close without controlling him and to let him be free without letting go of him.

Times like these call for a little Shel Silverstein:

Listen to the mustn'ts, child.
Listen to the don'ts.
Listen to the shouldn'ts,
the impossibles,
the won'ts.
Listen to the never haves, 
then listen close to me.
Anything can happen, child. 
Anything can be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad he decided to come home. I know we've all been worried and hoping for the best outcome for him. He's still a teenager so I'm sure there's more to come, but I don't think there's anything more important than him knowing that his family loves him no matter what and that he's always welcome back where he belongs.