Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Weird Science

The other day I found myself with electrodes stuck to my back, lying on a bed of ice, draped in a blanket, staring at inspirational quotes that had been taped to the ceiling, and all I could think was, "How did I get myself into this?"

I mentioned in an earlier post that I might have inadvertently joined a cult...a spinal care cult. It started out innocently enough. I had a massage gift certificate I'd been meaning to use. Following the massage (which was awesome), my masseuse informed me that since they were a clinic and I have scoliosis, I might be able to get massages covered by my insurance. 

Free massages?! My brain exclaimed. Sign me up!

Overcome with joy at the prospect of getting a weekly massage, I happily handed over my insurance card for "verifying." Flash forward a few days and I'm back at the clinic agreeing to come in 2 days a week to partake in their "unique approach to healing."  

Here's the thing: I don't like to seek treatment for my maladies. Nothing that requires more than one visit to a doctor, anyway. So I've had back pain associated with my scoliosis since I was a teenager. Add to that being rear-ended, pregnancy, carrying around two babies/toddlers and working at a computer since college and I've just sort of grown accustomed to discomfort. Had there not been a massage being dangled in front of me, I can assure you I wouldn't have jumped at the chance to fix my back purely for my own health. 

So after agreeing to terms that seem stunningly close to insurance fraud, I stifled the laughter and filed away my snide comments as they walked me through the "therapies:" the low-level laser that resembles a UPC scanner, the weird roller thing that feels as if you're being run over by a 10-ton vibrator and yes, the electrodes and ice combo. To be fair, there is also a legit physical therapy part of the process that incorporates pilates and will actually probably be very good for me - unfortunately, that's only about 1/4 of each visit.

Okay, so I'm not really a believer yet, but I've decided to drink the Kool-aid this time because really, what wouldn't I do for a weekly massage? 

I'll keep you posted on my progress. Send help if I start talking about getting any kind of spinal care-related tattoos. 

No comments: