Friday, July 4, 2008

The Rockets Red Glare

We tend to celebrate Independence Day a day early over here thanks to the annual event our local park holds on July 3rd. It's nice, actually, as it takes the pressure off figuring out what to do on the 4th since we've already fulfilled the pyrotechnic requirements of the holiday. 

Now, I admit that all the waiting and the accompanying whining that comes with keeping children (not just mine, but all children) up 1-2 hours past their bedtime is enough to make me want to skip the fireworks altogether...except then you see that look on their faces when the first explosion finally comes and, well, it seems worth it. 

But here's my wish: Could someone hold a separate fireworks display specifically for those who view such events as an excuse to get drunk in public? Because while such behavior didn't bother me much before I had kids, it really gets to me now. It's not that I'm against drinking, it's that I'm against mixing loud, drunk people and children. I mean, I wouldn't bring my kids to your kegger, so don't bring your drunk ass to my family's fireworks display. Seriously.

No comments: