Thursday, July 17, 2008

Reality Wednesdays

Thank you, Bravo TV for making Wednesdays the highlight of my TV-viewing week. Before I even had time to mourn the loss of Top Chef, you sated me with Shear Genius. And now you've doubled the pleasure with a new season of Project Runway all in one night! 

Alright, so even though I love it, I don't think Project Runway got off to the strongest start. I hope that this season isn't made up entirely of rehashed challenges just because the show is leaving the network - that would be a waste of what could be its last good season. (Sorry, I just don't have any faith in the Lifetime network.) 

I wish there was a practice round. Like if the first show was just to get the designers warmed up and nobody went home until the next episode. It just seems so sad to bring the contestants all the way there, put them in the opening credits, tell their stories, and then send them straight back home (or to top-secret lockdown, whichever) 24 hours later. I mean, at least Top Chef and Shear Genius have the mini-challenges before they start booting people off...I guess it's all part of the drama.

Really, I felt bad for Jerry. Maybe the producers did, too, since they clipped together his meet-the-contestant interview to make it clear that he was doing just fine without the show. I just would have liked to see what earned him a spot on the show to begin with because I have a feeling that his shower-curtain-raincoat getup wasn't an accurate reflection of his abilities. 

I'd like to say something about Shear Genius, too, but I am too pissed off about the Meredith vs. Nekisa debacle. 

Oh well, I guess I have to accept some heartbreak if I'm going to be a reality TV junkie.  

3 comments:

Curyusgrg said...

And you can't "conjugate" Borg. . .

Judith U. said...

Heard something on the radio yesterday about a new show on Comedy Central called "Reality TV Bites."

The premise is that every week it will make fun of a different reality TV show. May have to check it out.

Could be awful, but sometimes awful is really funny.

Think Nashville Star.

KK said...

I'll definitely have to check that out, although I think the "real" drama is probably funnier than making fun of it.