Monday, April 14, 2008

This Too Shall Pass

My therapist tells me I've gotten much better about putting things in perspective. This wasn't something I knew I was working on, but apparently I did it anyway (now that is a good therapist). 

Unfortunately, when it comes to the teenager, "putting things in perspective" feels a lot like lowering my expectations. Now rather than fretting about him not getting into college, I tell myself that he can always go later. Or that in "real life" (as in, post high school), nobody cares whether you got straight A's or just barely scraped by...well, no one except those college admissions officers....And at even lower times, I remind myself that you don't even need a high school diploma to be a plumber or a welder or a number of other honest professions that pay a living wage. 

But I know that where the perspective really comes in is knowing that as long he survives this horrible self-destructive phase...as long as he can just get through it, he is going to be okay. And I believe that. Even when I see him choosing the hardest, most dangerous path, I believe he will be okay...eventually. And while it doesn't stop me from worrying or wishing it could be easier, it does help me see the big picture. And the big picture is looking a whole lot prettier than the snapshot of our current situation.

No comments: