Wednesday, April 2, 2008

More Than Words

I wish I had composed something as beautiful as today's Autismville blog in honor of World Autism Awareness Day, but alas, I did not. 

I could comment on Jenny McCarthy's editorial on CNN.com about her son's "recovery" from autism...I could say what a disservice I think she's doing for her son and for parents of children with autism everywhere, but, well, I think today should be about more positive things. 

So in lieu of beauty, let's have reality. In reality, I got what I think is pretty good news today. I met with the private speech therapist that evaluated Owen last week. Extra speech therapy had been recommended at one point more than a year ago and I only now followed up on it since we just got real medical insurance that actually covers things. 

The therapist showed me his test scores and they were all well above average -- so high that she's not recommending therapy. In fact, she showed me where his scores would have to be for him to qualify for speech therapy by the school district's standards and I am now armed with several new questions for our IEP meeting next week.

She said that because he is so intelligent, he's probably thinking faster than he can articulate, which is why he sometimes reverses words and why sometimes it's hard to figure out what he's trying to tell you (we can understand his words, but sometimes they don't make sense). She went on to say what a joy he was, adding, "It's so nice to see a kid who can actually TALK." A no-no for a speech therapist, I'm sure, but funny nonetheless. 

So hooray for Owen! For once, he's in the 82nd percentile for something other than the size of his noggin. That's worth celebrating, I think.

3 comments:

Casdok said...

Hooray for Owen :)
And glad you didnt pass comment on Jenny!!!!

Judith U. said...

High five to the little overachiever! :)

And sorry ... I don't have your restraint. I vented a bit about the whole Jenny thing .. :(

TLS said...

That's definitely worth celebrating! I think it's wonderful that you (two) have such a little genius!

** pardon me for hopping over from Butch's site, I was curious about the wifey :-) Maybe I'll get to meet you at a show sometime! **