Friday, April 4, 2008

I Should Know Better

Today is a beautiful day. It's the most beautiful day we've seen here in the Twin Cities for probably 6 months.

The boys and I are home today, so I think, "We should do something outside!" And since our yard is a mud pit and I am uncreative, I decide we'll go to the zoo, where we are members, which means it's a FREE, family-friendly, outdoorsy activity. The perfection of it should have stopped me in my tracks...

You know why you have so little interest in the above photo? Because it's a photo of a line...a line that stretched out to the parking lot. See that MN Zoo sign in the distance? That's the door. Inside the door is where the line usually forms.

Truth be told, I took this photo on our way out. On our way in, we waited in a slightly shorter line, but it made no difference, the place was, ahem, a zoo. People everywhere. Strollers everywhere. Plus, half of the outdoor trail is under construction and the tiger exhibit was CLOSED. As in, you can still go to to place where you would normally see tigers, but then you'll just be staring across an empty tiger habitat until you notice the small sign stating that the exhibit is closed. (Where do they put the tigers?)

Owen was slightly agitated by the abnormal level of chaos and Aidan was broken hearted about the outdoor snack stand being closed (you'd think we went to the zoo solely for the snacks, really), but I think I was crabbier than both of them put together. I just wanted to take a nice, weekday stroll around the grounds, you know? Not wade through a sea of toddlers and grandmothers. I was trying to do the good mom thing! Apparently so was the rest of the metro area. 

Next time I'm letting them loose in the mud pit while I sit on the porch and read a book. 


3 comments:

Judith U. said...

Ugg. Why does it have to be so hard sometimes?

Hopefully some more sunny days will be coming your way...

Nancy Bea Miller said...

I bet they had a ball in the mud pit! Sometimes the simplest things really are the best, too. You get Mom points in heaven for trying the zoo thing though!

Student of Life said...

Totally been there. The feeling of defeat is always stronger when you are trying to be so good and things turn out so bad.