Thursday, April 10, 2008

It's What You Give

I said I wasn't going to, but then I did it anyway. I watched "Idol Gives Back" last night. Now, I don't want to imply that I'm not obsessed with American Idol (I am), but I like the sing-eliminate-sing-eliminate format...I'm not such a fan of telethons. 

I avoided the whole thing last year, but as most of my regular shows have ended for the season and it wasn't yet time for the new Top Chef, I thought I'd just take a peek at the fluff-meets-substance extravaganza. After (mostly) watching all 2.5 hours of it, I'd have to say it was decent -- and you can't argue with the oodles of money it raised for really good causes. 

I'd much rather have the youth of America spending their allowances trying to end the AIDS pandemic than buying another Miley Cyrus CD. And yes, Miss Miley was in the house last night and her plasticity as both a performer and "musician" was painfully obvious next to the likes of even Snoop Dogg, let alone Heart.

So I guess, good job American Idol. There's something to be said for leveraging our country's obsession with celebrity to make a big difference for people facing real challenges...maybe next year it could be compressed into an hour? 

No comments: