Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Scientifically Unspecific

Though autism isn't actually on my mind all of the time (see previous post for what seemingly occupies the rest of my thoughts), it seemed wrong to kick off Autism Awareness Month without a blog related to autism.

So, I'm sending you over to read this essay on the Babble site, by a mom whose son has PDD-NOS, one of the disorders on the autism spectrum. 

My boys have a friend diagnosed with PDD-NOS and I think his mom struggles a bit because the diagnosis literally means that the development disorder is "not otherwise specified" (NOS). What are you supposed to do with that? As if autism wasn't mysterious enough...how do you treat something so vague that they actually put "not otherwise specified" in its name?

I suppose you do what we're all doing and try to follow the "experts'" suggestions while trying to love your kid so much that no matter how cruel the typical-brained world might be, he (or she) will be okay...never "normal," but always okay. 

1 comment:

Judith U. said...

Amazing! You are making the world a better place ...