Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Sunny Side of the Street

I come bearing good news today, blogosphere. 

Firstly, I got a job! At a bakery! Not as a baker, of course, since I have no discernible skills in that area (yet), but at least I will get to hang out with the pastries, inhaling their sweet, sweet goodness. Let no one be surprised if I gain 10 pounds by summer. 

The outpouring of support from my friends has been amazing. I admit it, I feel a little sheepish about returning to the world of (almost) minimum wage food service after once having a mildly successful corporate career. I mean, it's not an obvious step forward. Except it is, kinda. I don't know if it will actually get me any closer to making pastry, but it at least sets me back in motion, heading in a new direction and that's something to be excited about. 

Next, I'm reading a really great book: Writers on Writing: Collected Essays from the New York Times. It's really interesting and insightful to read what writers have to say about their craft. It's inspiring. I think I might be on the cusp of (gasp) actually writing something

And for the final good news of the day, my BFF-turned-expat has arrived safely in India. Not that I didn't think he would, but you know, it's still nice to hear. (and if you want to get in on the ground floor of his expat adventures, the link to his blog is over there to the left)

AND the Top Chef finale is on tonight! It's a good day. 

4 comments:

Kevin said...

Hurray for employment! You know... if you do become a pastry chef, you might consider the lucrative market of vegan donuts. I understand that there is quite a demand for those things...

KK said...

I'm on a quest to create a healthy donut - one that can be eaten as actual food. I can't promise that it will also be vegan.

Unknown said...

I was eating at a restaurant here called Herbivore, which sells vegan donuts, and Robert Trujillo walked in and bought a dozen of them. I thought that was pretty funny. The new Metallica album was fueled by vegan donuts.

KK said...

Now my goal is to make my healthy donuts the official donut of Metallica.