Monday, February 23, 2009

FYI, Your Kid is Trouble

My sweet little Owen has been getting in trouble at school. He's received two of the dreaded pink slips in the last month. The title on the slip says "FYI Ticket," as if they just wanted to pass along a little info, but the checklist of "violations" is a bit more sinister...


My favorites are "Body out of control" and "Sitting inappropriately," although the grammar geek in me also likes the strange use of quotes in "Out of seat 'repeatedly'," as if the word repeatedly is some kind of jargon and not just a regular old adverb.

As you can see, today he got the "Disrespectful" box checked. (Btw, I also like how they write "Parent" above the signature line, as if he might attempt to sign it himself.) It's not funny, of course. He shouldn't be disrespectful to anyone, but I wish they'd provide more of an explanation because, based on his retelling of the story, it sounds like he was in one of his silly moods where he doesn't focus (vs. his spacey moods where he is silent, but also doesn't focus) and he ended up arguing with his more studious classmate, who told him to knock it off. 

Did we get slips like this when we argued with other kids? I don't remember. Plus, I usually just kept my mouth shut as a kid, so although I don't ever want him to be rude, I do appreciate the fact that he stands up for himself. I think it's a trait that will serve him well (and I think we have his twin brother to thank for instilling it in him). I do, however, think his autism makes (and will continue to make) it much harder for him to gauge when he's crossing over from honest to rude. 

Still, it seems we need to step up our efforts to teach him the different between standing up for himself and being standoffish or insubordinate. But, really, even if he was old enough to really understand the difference at this point, I'm afraid that my threshold for acceptable disobedience (the kind with a valid argument behind it) won't jive with the school's quest for unquestioning deference...I predict there are many more pink slips in our future. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you're boys will get into trouble in school for what they would consider talking back because of how smart they are. They don't tend to be afraid to speak up for themselves or to disagree with something. I think that's a good trait to have, but to a teacher with a whole classroom of kids having kids who challenge them may be too much for the teacher, especially by smart kids who are thinking way above the normal kindergarten level. Hopefully they are able to hold on to what they know and their sense of self while going thru their education and don't get it squished out of them by teachers who can't handle them.

Student of Life said...

I get completely outraged when schools send home ANYTHING (not written by a five year old) with grammar, spelling and punctuation errors, especially FORM LETTERS. That shit ought to be right. Do not judge my child if you do not know the proper use of quotation marks. Perhaps if you did your job correctly, you would be able to handle normal kid behavior.

My kid's just in pre-school, but his teachers send home a monthly newsletter littered with errors. It drives me insane.

OK. Stepping away from the soap box now...

KK said...

I share your outrage - no wonder kids can't form a decent sentence anymore.

Unknown said...

As someone who received a lion's share of things like this in school, I can tell you without a doubt that the "Parent Signature" is necessary. I tried imitating my mom's signature, very unsuccessfully I might add, in fifth grade.

KK said...

5th grade I can see...kindergarten, not so much.