Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Working it Out

My sweet little Aidan stuck this note to my computer today. 

List of Jobs:
T.G.I. Friday's

I'm guessing that, in his mind, the only thing better than me working at Friday's would be if he could work there. 

As my dismal job search leads me to applying for positions that I was probably more qualified for at age 18, this note is a nice reminder that a job is a job and it makes no difference to any of the important people in my life. Granted, some pay a hell of lot better than others, but I've probably spent far too long identifying too much of myself through my career (a career that I haven't even liked much for years). 

So yes, while I would prefer to be offered a well-paying position in which I could use my journalism degree in some capacity, I'm getting over this idea that it really matters what I do. It doesn't have to be forever, it just has to get us through for now. It might even be fun to have a zero responsibility job again. For a little while. Just until I write that best-selling novel... 

2 comments:

Kevin said...

It might not be that bad... you could use your adventures as fodder for a chick-lit book about the Machiavellian nature of restaurant employees. And, if you play your cards right, you can treat the whole thing as a tax write-off.

Student of Life said...

I totally identify with you on this. It took me a couple of years after I quit my career as a TV news executive producer to stop identifying myself by my job. For 14 years, I thought the job was who I was.

When I have to go back to work, I'm not sure how I'll put my journalism degree to use. I just hope I can find a way to do that that is less soul-consuming than my last gig.

BTW, I like Kevin's suggestion. I've considered doing something similar just for the social experiment and writing material.