Monday, February 9, 2009

The New Leaf I Am Peeking Under

I have returned from Las Vegas. It was an interesting trip. I watched one of my BFFs jump out of a plane from 3 miles in the air. I went to a gun range and shot a glock (and was unexpectedly shaken up by the experience). I saw first-hand that Liberace was a megalomaniac. And I learned that going to Las Vegas with people who don't want to spend a lot of time eating, drinking or gambling is kind of dumb...on everyone's part. 

So here I am, home again, with an intensified focus on the lose weight/spend less challenge. Obviously my trip to Las Vegas ran counter to both of those goals (although I won $346 on a Monopoly machine!!!), but I am ready to get back on the horse. I am proud to report that today I both exceeded my grocery bill goal (as in, I was under $75) and I launched a weeklong calorie counting experiment. 

It's pretty much what it sounds like: I'll be counting the calories I eat and trying to stay under a certain number. (I know you're thinking that this is something most normal people do but, like exercise, it's new to me.)  I suppose that makes it a diet, but since I don't really do diets, I prefer to think of it as an experiment. We'll see if I can make my goal for 7 days straight and then I'll think about whether I want to continue it. 

As day one draws to a close, I can report that I successfully met my goal and that I already don't like it. However, I'm accepting the unfortunate fact that it is highly unlikely that I will ever follow an exercise routine intense enough to let me eat whatever I want without continuing to gain weight, so I have to reign in the calories. Bummer. 

In anticipation of starting this experiment, I had my first anxiety dream about it last night. I was at a movie theater, holding the popcorn in my hands, ready to put the butter on it, and I thought, "But wait! I'm watching my calories!" And then I slathered the butter on and ate it anyway. 

Sign of things to come? Stay tuned. 

6 comments:

Student of Life said...

I did this for what I called Project Apple Bottom. It was very tough in the first week or so, but it got easier once I developed some strategies to make it work. One thing that helped me was to keep track as I went along during the day. This may sound like a no-brainer, but I often found myself just writing down what I ate and adding everything up at the end of the day, only to find that I had blown my goal number of calories by 4pm.

Second, I did the meal-snack-meal-snack-meal-snack thing. That way, I never really got too hungry and didn't overeat at any one meal. Also, if you have a stash of low-calorie healthy snacks available and already know the calorie count for them, you can easily make a choice that is appropriate for that day and plug it into your log.

This ended up working for me. I'll be doing it again in another few months after I finish cooking this baby boy in my belly!

KK said...

Yes, I admired your Project Apple Bottom from afar. I don't know if I have your willpower, but I'm trying!

Curyusgrg said...

I would like to contest the idea that "normal" people count calories. There. I contested it.

KK said...

I rescind the adjective "normal" - my point was that the majority of health-conscious adults are aware of how many calories they consume.

Curyusgrg said...

Now I feel like I'm not health conscious. I have absolutely no idea how many calories I have ever consumed. That must be the reason I'm so slender and lithe.

~Michelle @ Don't Eat That Cookie~ said...

Ugh, I *hated* counting calories! Although I still have this site in my bookmarks, it made the tedious task a bit more manageable: http://www.thedailyplate.com/
Good luck!