Sunday, June 1, 2008

I Just Want to Celebrate

June is birthday month at our house. With the exception of the teenager (isn't he always the exception?), we all celebrate our birthdays within a 15 day span -- and Father's Day is usually thrown in there somewhere too. 

I kicked off my birthday festivities this morning with a delicious brunch with a few of my closest friends. Fewer than anticipated, actually. I had been warned that nobody really cares when you turn 31 but I didn't actually expect anyone to outright forget (as in "yes, I'll be there," only to completely not be there). I am annoyed purely on principle, as it all turned out great anyway.

I suppose I have to accept that birthdays stop being a big event after you turn, well, probably 21...but I feel like birthdays can either be fun or they can be depressing and I'd rather make them fun. Hence my week of festivities. 

Brunch was just the beginning. Between now and Saturday, I've got three more celebratory meals (including a super fancy romantic extravaganza with the husband), plus a whole day devoted to my boys' golden birthday (they're turning 5 on the 5th). Whew! 

Good thing I quit that pesky job...perhaps I could become a professional birthday celebrator. Do you think there's a 401(k) for that position?


No comments: