Monday, June 23, 2008

A Little Help Here?

I'm not crafty. I'm not the type of mom who regularly takes on "projects" with my kids. But I am trying to save money, so I thought it would be fun to make our own popsicles. Plus, Wondertime featured some popsicle recipes in the latest issue and the boys have been staring at that page for days now. 

Coincidentally, I had bought these popsicle molds years ago...I don't know if it was so long ago that I thought I'd make popsicles with the now-teenager or if I bought them after the boys were born and I was just planning ahead.

So last night we made the Creamy Orange Dream recipe. The mixing went fine, but they didn't freeze before bed, so I told the boys they could have them after breakfast today (it's just orange juice, yogurt and vanilla extract). 

Alas, when I went to pull the popsicles out this morning like a proud popsicle-making mama, all I got was stick. I tried twisting, I tried holding them so they'd melt a little...All the while, my little Owen stood studying the recipe saying, "It says you should leave the stick in." (Thanks, love.)

I am now considering scraping the insides out with a spoon and serving them as slush. Is this a sign from the universe that I should stick to store bought treats? Maybe. 

What I am trying to say here is HELP! How the f*#@ do I get the popsicles out of the molds?? 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Run hot water over the outside of the molds...this will melt the outermost layer a little and free it to pop right out...at least that's what I remember the solution being back when I was a kid :)

Nisa Fiin said...

I was going to say the same thing.
hot water on the outsidey parts is the key.
But I say for this first run- scrape+slushie sounds like good plan. Just the word "slushie" is exciting.

KK said...

Alright, so apparently I am the only one who didn't know the warm water trick. I am happy to report that it worked on one of the popsicles...the other I had to pry out with a butter knife and then put back on the stick, but the kids were happy. Thanks!

Judith U. said...

We are so alike ... Who knew...