Thursday, June 5, 2008

5 Years

When I first met my boys 5 years ago today, this is what they looked like:



Well, to be honest, they looked slightly bluer than this when we first met, as they needed to be resuscitated immediately upon being born. At 26 weeks 5 days and weighing just 2 lb. 4 oz., their tiny lungs just weren't ready yet. 

Sure, they were hairy little monkey babies, but it was love at first sight. For three months, we visited them in the hospital daily, holding them when allowed, but mostly just talking to them through their plastic boxes.

There were a million things that could have gone wrong, but most of them didn't. I was probably in denial and borderline insane from the situation, but never once did I believe they would be anything other than okay. But they are more than okay. They are more than I ever could have asked for. 

And today they are five. I wanted to write something about each one of them because they are so different and yet such perfect complements to one another, but my words can't really do them justice (plus they don't read my blog anyway). So I leave you with this...proof that miracles do happen.


2 comments:

Student of Life said...

Wow. Happy birthday to them...and to you. What an amazing feeling that has to be! The contrast in the pictures gave me chills.

Anonymous said...

Wow, this brings back a lot of crazy memories. I am reminded of how incredibly strong you were through that scary/wonderful/horrible time and still are today (you are, shut up) and truly how miraculous those little fellas are. And man, five years goes by fast!! Love ya.

Auntie J