Tuesday, August 12, 2008

What I'd Do

If you ever look at my Blog List (to the left there), you might have checked out the site 37 Days. (wonderful site - especially if you like to be inspired and cry a lot) The author, Patti Digh, has challenged her readers to send her essays or art pieces that answer the question "What would I be doing today if I only had 37 days to live?" 

True to my anxious, overthinking self, I have seriously been agonizing over this question for weeks now. At first I just thought it would be nice to write a little essay and submit it in the spirit of doing some personal writing. But now it's gotten to that really deep level of actually wondering what I would do and which of those things I could do now, while I think I still have a lot more than 37 days. I can't seem to put anything down on paper. Maybe the hardest part of answering is that none of it feels very original...

I'd cry, of course.
I'd eat a lot of dessert (more than usual).
I'd hold my kids until they couldn't stand it anymore. 
I'd write down everything I could ever want to say to them (this includes the teenager, who would get his very own notebook of thoughts).
I'd kiss my husband more. 
I'd take my family to Ireland because I want to experience it with them.
I'd fly to Hawaii because I want to go before I die.
I'd stop doing things I don't want to do.
I'd buy a fancy, poofy dress and wear it around with crazy, impractical shoes.
I'd spend time with all of my friends - as much as I could - and I'd tell each of them what they mean to me. (even though it would push the limits of my emotionally-closed being)

These things seem obvious to me. But I guess the point of the exercise isn't to come up with that perfectly eloquent, inspirational nugget...the point is to start doing the things on the list before you really do only have 37 days. 

Guess that means it's time to plan that fancy ice cream party...and I better get writing...oh, and if you happen to be one of my close friends and I seem unusually emotional the next time we meet, just bear with me...sometimes all that stuff that goes without saying needs to be said.

No comments: