Sunday, August 3, 2008

Camp

My tiny boys are going to camp tomorrow...on a bus. And they are staying for the whole day. 

A chipper camp counselor called this evening and asked to speak to Owen. "You want to talk to him?" I asked in disbelief. "Yep!" she persisted. "Um, okay."

So I put him on the phone and he actually held a conversation for approximately 30 seconds before saying, "Okay! Bye!" and handing the phone back to me. Aidan wondered why she didn't ask to speak to him...turns out they got put in separate camp groups. I am nervous. 

I have to pack them lunches. And bug spray. And sunscreen. And swimsuits. I keep wondering if there's been a mix-up...if these crazy camp people think my tiny boys are actually big boys...big boys who know how to put on bug spray and sunscreen and swimsuits all by themselves. I am nervous. 

I am resisting the urge to write my cell phone number down their arms in permanent marker. They have gone to plenty of half day classes. They have always been fine. I have always been fine. But now they are going away on a bus, with big kids, with strangers, from 8 a.m. - 3 p.m., like it's their job or something. And I am nervous. 

I'm the one that signed them up for this. I want them to go and have fun. I want them to love camp. When they are bigger, I want to send them to camp for a week. But tonight, I am nervous. Because it's big and new and out of my control. I'm being irrational, yes. But love isn't always rational...in fact, usually it seems like it's not. 

No comments: