Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Bon-Bons Aren't So Sweet

Moms who stay home while their kids are in school all day and still manage to lead happy, productive lives should really be commended.

Today was my third day of camp-induced freedom and I seriously didn't know what to do with myself. I mean, when you clear out the Tivo by 10 a.m., you know you're in for a long day. I'm not complaining, mind you. It was a special treat to actually be able to do nothing if I wanted, but I guess I just didn't want...

I also didn't want to clean or do laundry or do any other household chore. I read a book. (I've gotten a lot of reading done this week.) I read blogs and obsessively checked my email. I even went grocery shopping. 

Then I realized that what I should be doing is writing...like, the fun kind of writing, the kind that eventually turns into that book you've been meaning to write. But I didn't really want to do that, either, which made me feel guilty, which led me to the freezer, where I tried yet another flavor of Archer Farms fancy ice cream: Honey Cashew Crunch. The honey ice cream by itself is an acquired taste, but when you combine it with the cashews - yum. 

So then I started fantasizing about hosting an ice cream and wine party in which I would get like 8 crazy flavors of ice cream and then ask a smart wine person (like the one who works at my local wine shop) to pair wine with each one...I could just see me serving pretty little trays with tiny scoops of ice cream (I'd use my melon baller, natch) and then cute little samplings of matching wines. It’d be like the fanciest party I’ve ever thrown…in fact, I think the guests should come in formal attire.

So you see, this is what happens when left to my own devices. Although I should tell you that once I finished the ice cream I dusted the bookshelf for good measure. I am totally going to have to get another actual leave-the-house jobby job when my boys start first grade. Damn.

4 comments:

hellokittiemama said...

LOL!!!!!!

Had to comment - loved your subject line!

Unknown said...

I know a lot of people who would go to that party.

Jenn said...

ok suppose to be starting a diet. Now I want to go to Target and buy ice cream

KK said...

Jenn,
Today you should go to DQ and buy ice cream. Tomorrow, Target.