Monday, August 25, 2008

La La Land

I am back from the Golden State and operating on roughly 3 hours of sleep. Here's a tip on how to make flying the red-eye back from LA even less enjoyable: sunburn your back. Like, really fry it, so the skin actually seems to be attempting to jump off your body, trying to disassociate itself with you and your stupidity.

Yes, well anyway, given my surly, blurry, swirly state-of-mind, perhaps I should keep this short. LA was sunny. I watched an embarrassing amount of television, but at least a large percentage of it was the Olympics...that's my patriotic duty, right? I spent the whole trip hanging out with one of my oldest and dearest friends, who was nice enough to let me crash on her couch for three nights. (Incidentally, I am now declaring myself too old to crash on anyone's couch for more than one night.) 

We went to a beautiful beach, where we had the misfortune to witness a girl break her nose on her surfboard, stagger back to the shore and then throw herself at the mercy of the barely-trained lifeguard team...seriously, the poor girl could have dragged herself up the cliff and walked to the hospital in less time than it took the EMTs to arrive. I blame this lengthy distraction for my sunburn. 

I also ate cupcakes...6 of them in all. I fell in love with Big Sugar Bakeshop.
Their icebox cupcake should actually be called the Closest You're Gonna Get to Heaven cupcake. There's filling, you see, and that filling is like eating happiness. 

BFF + sunshine + cupcakes = good trip. But next time there will be no red-eye. 

2 comments:

Judith U. said...

Sounds perfect. Television, beach, cupcakes .. What more could a woman want???

The big question is: are you a convention watcher? Hmm... I'm not sure.

KK said...

The RNC is a little close to home this year to avoid, but the only convention watching I'll really be doing is via the Daily Show.