Thursday, April 30, 2009

A Month of Awareness

It's the last day of April, which means it's the last day of Autism Awareness Month. I fear I have fallen a bit short on my original goal of writing something informative about autism in every post this month, but I hope that what I have done has been enlightening and/or helpful for some of you. 

Obviously, we don't need a special month around our house to talk about autism, but I still love that such an occasion exists to help educate people about this disorder. I want Owen to grow up in a society that understands his challenges and appreciates his gifts. 

Actually, I want that for Aidan, too. I suppose that's pretty much what any parent wants. We all want our kids to be accepted and to excel. We want them to have every opportunity. But, I suppose, the real reason we want these things is just because we want them to be happy. 

It is my belief that the more we can learn about autism, then the better we can develop effective treatments, therapies and educational programs, which will ultimately help us provide our kids with the opportunity to do something pretty much everyone wants: To create happiness on their own terms. 

Thanks for your support this month and beyond. Team Owen raised $550 for Autism Speaks(!) and, hopefully, we all took an extra minute (or hour, or day) to better understand this disorder and the role we can play in supporting those who are living with it. 

No comments: