Monday, April 20, 2009

Cubicle Hamster

I returned to cubicle land today and I am relieved to report that it didn't feel depressing at all. In fact, despite my 47-minute commute (that's one-way), I came home feeling happy rather than exhausted. Happy!

I'm not going to get crazy and start thinking that I won't get cynical about this job - I think it's smart to approach all corporate jobs with a healthy amount of suspicion - but I have to tell you that even as I was sitting in a conference room today, having an almost-identical meeting to one that I had seven years ago at my last corporate job, rather than thinking how I'd rather be at home, I thought, "I can totally do this."

I won't lie, it makes a huge difference that I love and respect my boss. It also didn't hurt that in one of my meet-and-greets today, I learned that an employee had recently contacted the corporate team to find out if the company (which makes medical devices) could help her get a pacemaker for her relative who was in another country in dire need, without the financial means,  and that the company - my new employer - actually came through for her. It's hard to be cynical about that. 

And so, I will go back tomorrow with an uncharacteristically good attitude. But just in case you're worried that this shift in work dynamic might leave me with nothing to be bitchy and snide about, please let me assure you this is not the case. There is always something to be bitchy and/or snide about. I promise. 

On an unrelated note, the New York Times ran this article on the costs of educating children with autism this weekend. I won't be bitchy or snide about it, just a little angry that any family would have to mortgage their home (and they are not alone) to get their child the education she deserves. 

No comments: