Thursday, April 23, 2009

Be Serious

We got the revisions to Owen's IEP today. One of his short term objectives reads as follows:

"Owen will be able to to have one or less reminders of not being silly when the situation calls for listening to instructions 75% of the time."

Do you think that if the situation calls for listening to instructions only 50% of the time, then he'll get two reminders?

But really, questionable grammar aside, I can't help but wonder how many typical five- and six-year-olds could have this listed as an objective, were they scrutinized the way Owen is. 

I'm not saying he couldn't use some work in the listening department - he definitely could - I think I'm just reacting to this idea that him being silly is the issue. As if silliness is this obstacle he must overcome. 

Do we send our kids to school to make them less silly? Is that an educational objective?

2 comments:

kristi said...

Oh my gosh..this is crazy to me!

Gena MacDonald said...

I think I am STILL learning to not be silly and listen appropriately. Obviously I needed an IEP.