Friday, September 12, 2008

Trick or Treat?

My kids want to be ghosts for Halloween. We talked through all sorts of fun ideas (like being a frog and a prince)...we went to the megacostumestore and dismissed all of the crappy pirate and superhero costumes...but nothing stuck. 

Then a couple of days ago Aidan came to me and announced, very seriously, that he had decided to be a ghost for Halloween. My first (silent) reaction was disappointment, as if he should have come up with something more creative (seriously, I don't know why I care), but within a split-second I realized what a fabulous development this was, as he had magically chosen the one costume that uncrafty me can make myself rather than shelling out $50 at Pottery Barn. Woohoo!

Owen was an easy sell. He responded with an "Okay!" that suggested he was glad somebody else had figured it out for him. 

So I went online for some ghospiration -- even though I'm pretty sure all I need is a white sheet and a pair of scissors -- and was horrified to find that apparently some people actually buy ghost costumes for their children:

Crappy, creepy ghost costumes that bare far too close of a resemblance to something a Klan member would wear for my comfort. 

Or, you could choose to go the "friendly" ghost route:

I guess the smattering of patchwork makes that worth $20 plus shipping...you know how those friendly ghosts are always patching themselves up, right?

I feel like buying your child a ghost costume is sort of like admitting that you let your kids eat Velveeta cheese slices for breakfast...like you just couldn't be bothered to find something better. 

I mean, if you're going to buy a costume, get some bang for your buck. Buy something that would have been nearly impossible to make yourself (read: anything other than a ghost). If nothing else, it will make you feel less guilty for not being crafty.

No comments: