Friday, September 19, 2008

Slosh, Slosh

Homework assignment #1? Check.

But I'm not exactly proud of what I wrote. In fact, if it was a situation where we had to stand up and read out loud to the class, I'd probably skip that day. (This way we just have to post our assignments on the class message board for everyone to laugh at in private.)

I'm sorry to say that I've allowed my years of corporate writing to sink me into this "good enough" mindset. As in, "Eh, it's not great, but it's good enough." I am sloshing around in a puddle of mediocrity...a really deep puddle out of which I haven't quite mustered the determination to climb.

Sometimes when I'm writing, I start to veer off into flowery sentiment or overdramatic metaphor and then I stop myself because it just doesn't seem...honest. It seems like I'm just writing a lot of words that sound good rather than saying anything that means anything.

This makes me wonder if good writers sometimes just sort of let the words lead them. If they let what sounds good matter more than what's real. Or do they all actually think the way they write? If so, I really need to step up the quality of my thoughts...let me just add that to the to-do list quick. 

No comments: