Sunday, September 7, 2008

Hate is a 4 Letter Word

A disturbing thing happened at Target this morning. We were meandering through the grocery aisles and I heard a woman snap, "I hate shopping with you!" I turned my head to see a mom in her 40's with three kids between the ages of 3 and 6. 

Before I could even attempt to feel sympathy for this woman (because I've had that same thought at times, but never said it aloud), the dialogue between this adult and her 3-year-old deteriorated into "I hate you!" "Well, I hate you." "Well I hate you more." "Well I hate you the most."

Shoppers within a 10-foot radius looked around in alarm, not sure whether to point out the many ways she was damaging her kids or run and hide. My first instinct was to get my kids out of earshot. My second instinct was to cry. I hate to think what goes on when they're not out in public. 

I really do try not to be judgmental with other moms, but some people are so reckless with their children that it breaks my heart. 

But, in that special way that kids do, Aidan was able to lighten the mood toward the end of our shopping trip, when we were searching for a nail clipper. (Someone is stealing my nail clippers, I swear.) As we were wandering around, I absentmindedly said, "If you were a nail clipper, where would you be?"

To which Aidan responded: "I would be under the couch watching game shows and I'd only come out when you weren't home and then I'd walk around the house." Um, okay...do you think he knows something I don't?

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Could you ask Aidan where my cordless phone is, please? HAHAH that was a great answer!

kristi said...

Some people don't need to have kids at all. How sad.

Unknown said...

Once again, Miquie and I have a good laugh at Aidan's brilliant and irreverent perception. And, coincidentally, that is where I would be if I were a nail clipper. So did you check under the couch?