Thursday, September 11, 2008

Castaway

Ok, so I'm officially giving up the reality recaps because even though I love Project Runway, it's just not doing much to inspire a lot of words out of me this season. This does not mean, however, that I won't still comment on my favorite shows when the occasion arises...

So without going into a lot of detail, did you see what the contestants on Top Design did with those bomb shelters? Half of them were nicer than my living room (my living room is nice, btw). Okay, but am I the only one who thinks it's weird that Ricky Shroder's wife is on the show? Yes, I understand that she wants to be recognized for her own thing, but is becoming a reality television contestant really the best way to do that? 

This is all made weirder by the fact that she isn't telling anyone she's Ricky Shroder's wife...I'm all for personal fulfillment, but I kind of think that if I were her, I might just enjoy the luxury of being married to a child star.

Moving on, let's talk about the newest Real World/Road Rules challenge. Now let me start out by saying that I am aware that I am not the demographic for this...that being over 30 makes me ancient by MTV standards. But what can I say? I can't let go. I don't watch The Real World or Road Rules anymore, but I loved them once and there's something about the challenges that I still like...even though even the people I actually recognize, I don't actually know from their shows (with the exceptions of Tonya and Robin), just from the other challenges. 

Gone are the days of Eric Neis and Julie and even Puck...but still, I am intrigued by these challenges. None more so than this latest one, The Island. They dump all these kids, who have devoted their lives to being caricatures of real people, on an island and tell them that eventually they'll have to build a raft and row their way out to a farther island, where all the cash is stashed. In the meantime, just hang out and learn to hate (or luuuuuv) each other. 

What do they do first? Get drunk! Of course! What else are you going to do on a deserted island? Plus, it appears that while they have an unlimited supply of booze, they have nothing but rice and coconuts to eat...I can't wait to see who dies of dehydration first! 

Okay, but seriously, if Tonya can grow up and become a functioning member of society, doesn't it give you hope for humanity? Yes, so she's only functioning in a town in Nebraska with a population of 500+, but still...

Ah, I love this stuff. It's candy for my brain. 

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Just a clarification here... This isn't candy for your brain. It's crack for your brain.
Big mountains of crack.
Cracky crack crack crack.
Crackolicious crack.
And coming from a guy who's addicted to the VMAs, I know MTV crack when I see it.