Sunday, March 2, 2008

Vegas on My Mind

In two weeks, I’m going to Las Vegas. Or more accurately, 14 days from this very moment, I will be somewhere on the Strip. Perhaps I will be walking in the desert sun along Las Vegas Boulevard, wondering at the ridiculous architectural spectacle. Or maybe sitting at a Price is Right slot machine, hoping to play the Showcase Showdown…

Whatever fabulous thing I am doing, two things are certain: I will have escaped the frozen tundra of Minnesota winter and I will only be in charge of me (love you boys, but mommy needs a vacation). Add in 24-hour fun and entertainment and it’s no wonder that my anticipation for this trip has reached full-blown obsessive mode.

No matter how many times I visit, Vegas just doesn’t lose its luster. Having already scoured the web and creating an hour-by-hour itinerary for my husband and our two friends (who have never been to Vegas), I have resorted to checking the weather forecast and using the Street View feature on Google Maps to pretend I am actually standing on the Strip outside Caesar’s Palace. Last night I even orchestrated a screening of “Showgirls,” which, in retrospect, I don’t recommend for either entertainment or Vegas travel preparation.

But today I feel that the universe is trying to tell me my obsession is okay. First, I opened the Sunday paper to find that Vegas is the featured destination in the travel section. Then, one of my favorite musicians, Johnette Napolitano, posted a blog all about her recent trip to Vegas! Coincidence? Okay, probably.

Excuse to continue obsessing until that plane touches down 332 hours from now? Absolutely.

No comments: