Thursday, March 20, 2008

Reality Bites

I have returned from the land of sin and slots, but I am not quite ready to jump back into real life. I was anxious to see the boys, of course, but they weren’t all that eager to return to real life either. Seems life at grandma’s was pretty sweet.

The Great Home Alone experiment with the teenager went just okay, which is to say that the house is still standing and the cats didn’t starve to death. The whole thing looks to have been an 84-hour Warcraft marathon, which is also to say that he’s been deemed not quite ready for further home alone adventures at this point. The problem, as I see it, is that he just doesn’t see the need to function when left to his own devices…

Anyway, the trip was lots of fun. I didn’t win big, but I didn’t lose big, either. I saw some sights, rode in a convertible through the desert in 50-some degree weather, had a single sip of my very first (and very possibly last) green beer, got to play a Showcase Showdown, and laughed a lot…yes, we had fun, fun, fun ‘til the slot machines took my last nickel away.

Now it’s back to reality, where there’s always a mouth to wipe and a call from the attendance office to answer…it’s not as fun as Vegas, but rumor has it that in the long run I will find it more rewarding.

No comments: