Thursday, March 6, 2008

Write On

When it comes to being a writer, sometimes I feel a little bit easy. Like I’m willing to write anything, as long as I can convince myself I’m still making a living writing.

In any given week, I could be working on a speech for a corporate executive, a newsletter for parents of preschoolers, and an article for a magazine. Alright, so that’s not so much an average week, it’s more like this week, but the point is that my writing assignments vary.

I am employed in the non-profit world but my freelance work in the corporate world is what actually pays the bills. I have the words “strategy,” “leverage” and “team” running on a loop in my head. 

What I’d rather be doing is writing articles for national magazines...you know, using my college degree. Unfortunately, that kind of writing tends to be far more difficult to box into the times that I am available to write. It’s also just harder in general, which perhaps is why I find it to be more fulfilling.

But of course what I really would rather be doing is spending my days sitting in the office I designed just for writing (but rarely use) and churning out best-selling novels – or really, just one best-selling novel would be fine, too. I’m not greedy. Of course it's easy to say that that's what I really want to do when I have no intention of doing it. Not yet anyway. I’ll let you know when inspiration strikes.

In the meantime, I will continue selling my wares like the two-bit pencil pusher* that I am.

*Am I keyboard pusher? That doesn’t have the same ring to it.

1 comment:

Judith U. said...

Just please don't start using the term "thought leader" and everything will be alright ...