Thursday, March 12, 2009

Pride Should Be Rewarded

Readers, I'm referring you to the 37 Days blog today because I think Patti Digh wrote a really nice entry about this ridiculous issue with the girl in Indiana who wants to wear a tuxedo to her prom. 

My initial reaction was that someone should maybe tell this girl that prom is waaaaay overrated and probably not worth all the trouble, but obviously I admire her conviction and her willingness to draw attention to the inequality. That's not something that's always easy to do - especially as a teenager. 

Plus, as a parent, it hurts me anytime I see a school promoting bigotry. How sad that if a teenager is comfortable enough to announce her sexuality to the world, rather than reward her self-assuredness, the school district condemns it...hiding their hate behind a policy. What kind of example does that set? 

No comments: