Friday, March 27, 2009

A Good Day

Wednesday was a weird day in all the best ways. So weird that I guess I needed two days to digest it before blogging...

First, I finally reconnected with the woman, whom I am affectionately calling "the cake lady," about the job in the cake shop. The job that I am coveting. The job that almost seems too good to be true because I would get to work with cake all day and actually get paid to learn the trade. Our phone conversation on Wednesday was brief, but the gist is that as long as business picks up with wedding season, I'm in. (The phrase the cake lady used was, "You're the one we want.") So if you know anyone in the Twin Cities area who needs a cake, please allow me refer to you a delightful little cake shop

So that was awesome. Then, later that day, I found out that I landed a new writing gig. A fun one! Writing about local family activities and entertainment. I'll post all the details here once I'm all set up and can point you to a link, but for now let's just say that I'm really excited about it. It remains to be seen whether there is any money to be made in this venture (pay is based on readership), but I think it will be fun. 

I'd like to take a moment to point out here that in all the job-hunting I've done over the last several months, the only three positive responses I've received (my current bakery job, the cake job and this new writing job) have been in situations where my corporate experience was irrelevant. Hmmm...I wonder what the universe is trying to tell me?

But wait! Wednesday was not over. This also happened to be the day that our brainy friend, Fred, made his Jeopardy! debut. (Yes, the Jeopardy, with Alex Trebek) Even though it's pre-recorded, none of us had any idea what would happen because contestants are (obviously) sworn to secrecy. Naturally, I wanted him to do well, but we were just excited to cheer him on...having no idea he would completely destroy the competition!! Or that he would have a similarly awesome run on Thursday. And I'm hoping for a repeat performance today, although I won't know until 4:30 p.m. CST. 

So there you go. In a single day, my job prospects improved by about 200% and I found myself knowing a Jeopardy champion. Life is weird. I like that.

3 comments:

mrs soucherelli said...

dude, i watched jeopardy yesterday -- your friend fred is funny! and smart, obviously. i hope he keeps winning!

Kevin said...

HURRAY for jobs ~ plural! That's exciting, and totally warrants a celebration. Perhaps you should book a trip to, um I don't know, say, India!

KK said...

Yes, with all my wildly profitable job prospects, I will fly to India.