Saturday, March 21, 2009

Workers Unite

Another Saturday, another work day for me. It will be busy, which means it will go fast and maybe I'll break another quiche and get to eat it on my break (you see, I can be positive sometimes!). One of these days, I will figure out how to break a chocolate croissant...

So, I think we all knew that I wasn't going to love this job. That dealing with customers all day wasn't going to fill me with joy. That earning minimum wage wasn't going to leave me feeling accomplished. What I didn't expect were all of the moral issues I'm encountering with my employer...issues that I wouldn't have even noticed were I still an oblivious teenager, happy to slave away for nothing and not ask questions. 

When all the policies were explained on my very first day, I noted that this was the first food service job I'd ever worked where we didn't get a free meal while we were working (though we are allowed to eat food that's left over from the day before). I also found it somewhat irritating to learn that we are required to take our breaks within view of the bakery counter so that if it gets busy, we can be called back to work. 

My manager also mentioned that everyone here is "part-time" (read: they don't get health insurance), yet most of them work 5-6 days per week  But the red flag really went up when I was informed that at certain times of the year, I would be required to work overtime and failure to do so was a fireable offense. I'm not a lawyer or anything, but can it really be legal to require a part-time employee to work more than 40 hours per week?

Ok, so I was a bit put-off by all of this, but I figured I could deal with it (or quit, if it came down to it). However, now that I've spent 3 weeks there, I've noticed that shady business is the order of the day around there and it all comes at the expense of the underpaid and overworked - yet impressively honest and hard-working - hourly employees. 

I've been most appalled by the situation with my assistant manager, a smart Mexican woman with a four-year-old son, who started as a cook four years ago and finally got promoted earlier this year. When I asked her how often she visits her mother and sister, who still live in Mexico, she informed me that she doesn't, because she doesn't get vacation time. In fact, she added, she is only allowed to request two days off per year (unpaid) and that has to be done several months in advance. This is not, of course, what she was promised when they pushed her into taking the assistant manager job after the last one quit over disagreements with the owner. 

I realize that I'm not revealing anything shocking here. We all know that we treat our low-wage workers (especially immigrants) like shit in this country, it's just different to actually experience it and to work side-by-side with people who have to put up with it because they can't afford to go a week or two (or more, in this economy) without a paycheck. 

So what do I do with my moral outrage? Good question. Maybe a revolt isn't such a bad idea, after all.  


3 comments:

GEF said...

I'm rethinking my support of Patrick's French Bakery. Perhaps there's actually a bakery out there that treats its employees like people. Perhaps a consumer switch to Wuollet's is needed?

anonlaw said...

Unfortunately, an employer in MN has the authority to establish the work schedule and determine the hours to be worked - there are no limits on the overtime hours that the employer can schedule, and employees who refuse to work the scheduled hours may be terminated, even if they are part-time. As long as the employer is paying the required overtime wages, they're in compliance.

KK said...

Well, I suppose it's good to know that it's legal even if it's shitty...