Monday, March 30, 2009

Celebrities, Cake and Poorly-Managed Corporate Contests

Did anyone else watch The Celebrity Apprentice last night? I half-expected Candy Finnigan to come strolling into the boardroom. I didn't think it was possible, but I actually felt bad for Dennis Rodman. Not that they weren't all right about him, I just think maybe the intervention could have been held off camera. 

In other TV news (I use that term loosely), I believe that food shows are taking over my life...or, at least, my Tivo. Between Iron Chef, Chopped and Challenge, the Food Network is rivaling Bravo for my affections. 

This "Last Cake Standing" business will likely tip the scales in FN's favor. An elimination-style competition involving fancy cake decorating? It's like the best TV show ever. The only way I think it could possibly be better would be if the chefs had to travel the world, searching for clues that would tell them what to bake and how to decorate their creations...and then they would have to race, while carrying the cakes, to the finish line. Yes, I'm sure that would be a hit.  

Oh, and speaking of the Food Network, one last thing: 

I'm 98% sure we did not win the Welch's Ultimate PB&J Challenge. I have arrived at this conclusion based purely on the fact that I have not received any communication about the contest. Since they mysteriously took the contest website down, I emailed Welch's to try to find out who won and received this form letter (please note that I emailed them on March 26):

Thank you for contacting Welch's.

On our about March 25, 2009 representatives from the Food Network Kitchen and the Welch’s team, will review each of the Finalist Submissions and rank finalists and select (1) overall Grand Prize winner. The decision of the judges will be final and binding in all matters. The winner will be confirmed by U.S. mail and/or telephone and must meet all eligibility requirements including the timely execution and return of all necessary releases and documents required by sponsors.

We hope this information is helpful.

No, it's really not. But what I am deducing is that a winner was contacted and they must now wait to receive all of that winner's "necessary releases and documents" back before they can announce anything. Aside from being bummed about not winning, I just think the whole contest could have been managed better. I mean, they've got everyone's email addresses, would it be too much trouble to inform us that a winner has been chosen and that it wasn't us? Apparently. Oh well, better luck next time. 

But, seeing as Welch's clearly isn't very interested in retaining the customers it may have attracted with this contest, let's all feel free to buy whatever brand of jelly we want. I'm kind of partial to Smucker's Simply Fruit. 

Yes, I'm a little bitter.

No comments: