Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hope

My kids got to watch President Obama's speech at school today. Well, Owen did. Aidan gets pulled out of class for 1st grade reading a couple days a week and I guess the 1st graders weren't watching, so he missed most of it. He was whining about it when I picked them up from school. 

I assured him that I had the whole thing on Tivo, which he demanded to watch immediately after lunch. And we did. And he actually watched it. (Owen fell asleep, which I think is a more standard 5-year-old response.)

I don't recall ever being remotely interested in an inauguration at that age. Actually, I don't remember ever being particularly interested in any inauguration until today. I certainly never whined about missing one. 

But my kids actually get excited when they see our President. What a concept! A leader that inspires excitement. 

Kids will grow up interested in the democratic process again. They will grow up believing they could actually be President someday. That's a pretty significant change already and it's only day one. I am hopeful. 

No comments: