Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Thanks for the Memories

My husband has a friend who is a photographer. She does fabulous work

We had her out a week or so ago to do a family photo shoot with the fall colors. I had two motives: 1) To get a photo for our Xmas cards...something better than the usual "here's us in front of our Christmas tree using the self-timer function on our camera" photo.  2) To ensure that we had one last nice portrait of the entire family before the teenager becomes an adult and either flees or is disowned...you know, whichever comes first

I'm kind of a freak about photos. I used to carry my camera everywhere -- even before I had kids. I like to document. I guess I figure that when I'm old and can't remember anything, I'll want to have nice photos to remind me of the good ol' days. (Believe me, with all boys, I have no illusions that they'll be wistfully paging through the photo albums with me.) 

I admit that sometimes I get so wrapped up in getting good photos that I sort of lose track of what's actually happening...as if having a good-looking photo cancels out the fact that things were crumbling around us just out of frame. (They're not, I'm just saying...) My family -- even the teenager -- understands that when I tell them it's time for a picture, it's much easier to simply comply. 

Anyway, back to the family portraits. We had a nice photo shoot on an exceptionally warm October day. We got the proofs today and they are beautiful...except that apparently I was so busy trying to primp and straighten the rest of my family that I failed to look at the camera in most cases. Actually, in many cases my eyes are closed...like I just decided to nap while my obedient family smiled on. I guess I need some of my own training. 

1 comment:

Quirky Mom said...

I'm the same way about taking pictures. Sometimes it's really hard to put it down and actually take part in whatever is happening.