Sunday, October 26, 2008

Shut Up and Eat

I am aware that motherhood is a thankless job, so please don't think I'm being naive here, but on those nights when I actually bother to cook something other than a tomato-based pasta and/or meat dish...the nights when I cook something that I actually look forward to eating...is it too much to ask that my children (teenager included) just shut up and eat it? 

I guess I don't really care if you don't like butternut squash or cranberries or pineapple or whatever other key ingredient makes this particular dish different than what we usually eat...it's fine if you secretly discuss how much you hated this dinner when I'm not around...or if you pretend that it's Hamburger Helper...but please, just stick your fork in it and put it in your mouth...before I lose it.

I would take the silent chewing as thanks enough.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

I totally agree with you...

I can't tell you how many times I've thought to myself, "just shut up and put it in your mouth."

tracey (aka rainbowmummy) said...

What I cannot stand is when my son turns his nose up at something that I have told him I preparing for his dad and me. He doesn't even have to be anywhere near it but he chooses to put his face in it and gag a little. Oh sorry Egg but some people actually enjoy vegetables. Mine is only 5, cannot imagine how frustrated I will be when he is in his teens....

(to be far he has tried some new foods this month, I should blog it and read it when he does the above!)