Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Lucky Number Seven

My boys are seven. I have seven-year-olds. In four days, I will have second graders. Second grade is practically middle school, which is practically high school, which is practically moving away to college.

Ok, I'm being dramatic. Although I did cry...on Saturday night...after a looooong day of entertaining more than a dozen seven-year-olds and then a special dinner at Benihana (or, Beni-ha-ha, as they like to call it), we put the boys to bed and I realized that they really ARE big. Really, really big. And that pretty soon they won't want to crawl into our bed and snuggle anymore. And little Aidan won't ask, "Can you come cuddle me on the couch?" anymore. And some days, hopefully many years from now, they probably won't even want to speak to me anymore. And I cried.

When they were little it was so hard and so exhausting and I wished for just a sliver of self-sufficiency on their part. And now they are at that fabulous in-between point where they are still so sweet and cute and innocent and yet they can dress and feed themselves and even remind me when I forget to sign their permission slips...and well, even though I'm sure they will grow into amazing adults, I kind of just want them to stay small. For a little longer.

Anyway, somehow it's been seven entire years since they came into my life and I am grateful everyday that they did. And we all had fabulous birthdays and we're all a year older and some of us are more excited about that fact than others, but that's just the way it is. So here's to another year of adventure and experience and laughter and snuggles...as many snuggles as they'll give me.

1 comment:

A2HelloKitty said...

Awe, you made *me* cry. Growing up is so bittersweet, when viewed from a parent's perspective. That is one of the unexpected gifts I received when I became a mom. And even though my little ones I still much littler than yours (4 - in two weeks - and 15 months), I'm astonished every day how I see them grow and become bigger little people, and know I'll have that same moment you have just had. When they become little big people. And before we know it, we'll be, hopefully, holding *their* little people and marveling at the miracle that is life.
Here's to another wonderful year!